By: Mia L. Hazlett
Dear Lost One:
There is a reason you are no longer in my daughters’ life. My biggest hope was that she would stay with you forever and would one day marry and raise a family together. But because I’m her mother, I had to wait until you broke her heart and gave her back to me. I knew you weren’t good enough for my daughter, the first time I heard your voice on my phone. You see, I’ve been praying over my daughter since I can remember. I’ve been praying for the man who she would first fall in love with and who would fall in love with her. You are not that person. This is not to bash you, but to educate you as to why.
1. Our first conversation- I answered, “Hello.” You said, “Yeah, is Jasmine there?” I hung up on you. The reason, when you call the home of the young lady you are dating, you call with respect. I don’t know who raised you, but we’ll get to that, but when you call my house for the first time, the proper way and my expectation, “Hello ma’am, my name is Lost One. May I please speak with Jasmine?” Two words could of changed my whole first impression of you, ma’am and please.
2. Screw the concept of “keepin’ it real”. You want to be who you want to be, when you feel like bein’ you. That’s not going to happen with my daughter. You see, I saw how she lit up when you called or texted her. I saw the week it took to look absolutely perfect for your first date. You, Lost One, showed up at my home looking as though you rolled out of bed and threw on whatever you found on your floor. Your pants were sagging with your boxers hanging out and I believe one two three…t-shirts maybe? Unacceptable. You looked like a street thug and because of that, there was a guest unknown to you and her in the movie theater.
3. Because of that unknown guest and their report back to me, strike three! My daughter paid for the date. I’ve spoken to her about that issue. But, taking my daughter out on a date requires you paying for the date. First date, you pay. End of story.
4. After talking to my daughter for over a month, she never met your mother. Maybe you don’t have the relationship with your mother like I have with my daughter, but I’ll be damned if I wasn’t going to meet you. So maybe you just never told your mother about her, but that’s to suspect that you wouldn’t want my daughter to meet your family after a month.
5. Finally, the one reason I knew you would never last; her sister despised you. I played my role as the parent. I knew she wouldn’t tell me everything. Being a young girl once, I knew I couldn’t tell her not to date you. So I had to use my secret weapon, her sister. If her sister liked you, you were golden. But when I asked her sister what she thought about you, she said she’s not very fond of you, or the girl she saw you kissing at the movies. Never did she think she would be an unknown movie guest twice.
Lost One, her sister is the reason you are not together, not me. I heard you two fighting over “the person” who told her about the girl at the movies. You see, you wanted to be a liar, but her sister was being her sister. There was a bond formed between them years ago when we went through it and I’m happy to say, you didn’t come between that. Good – Bye Lost One